Monday, July 7, 2008

Between the Buried and Me - Colors

I was very judgmental about this band at first. They're on the godawful Victory Records label, Labeled as Death/Metalcore, they've got the corny screamo/Death metal kind of name. I listened to their first album and I couldn't stand it. Than I listned to Alaska and The Silent Circus and I thought they were ok (eventually, these albums grew on me). But when I listned to Colors, that prejudice flew away after one listen. Unlike BTBAM's previous albums, Colors is very progressive. Rapid tempo changes and odd time signatures litter every second of the album. And it's not all just death metal growls, lightning fast sweeps, and odd time signatures either. It's obvious that this album is very jazz influenced among other genres. There's actually a part in the song 'Ants of the Sky' where after a powerful crescendo, they go into a blugrass breakdown. I shit thee not. I've probably listened to this album 20 times since I got it and I'm still not bored of it. It's probably one of my favorite metal albums of all times and I highly reccomend it.

1.) Foam Born: (a) The Backtrack - 2:14
2.) Foam Born: (b) Decade of Statues - 5:20
3.) Informal Gluttony - 6:48
4.) Sun of Nothing - 10:59
5.) Ants of the sky - 13:11
6.) Prequel to the Sequel - 8:37
7.) Veridian - 2:51
8) White Walls - 14:13


Myspace
Colors

No comments: